Friday, May 10, 2013

Trooping To Her Testimony

We have decided to visit family in Maryland this week, and a day after arrival Mk spiked a 102.2 fever. Many may say wipe her down with a cool compress, give Tylenol or Motrin and watch it. However not in my case. At birth my daughter was diagnosed a very common genetic blood disorder, sickle cell disease. This disease is a genetic malformation in the red blood cells and the way it transports oxygen throughout the body. I have a C trait, found mainly in the islands and her father an S, found here in America, which makes her have hemoglobin SC, a less common form than the African American SS hemoglobin. Until now there has been no complications, we all stay faithfully in prayer and thank God for bringing us this far without any issue and her reaching normal milestones!

Despite no pain crisis, it is proper protocol for a fever over 100.4, for the child to be admitted into the hospital for one never knows how a sickler is handling possible bacterial or a viral infection. It is very likely that her fever came from her vaccines, which were given the morning before we left New York. However better safe than sorry. I thank God Mk is a trooper and although giving the doc a good kick with her drumstick legs when putting in ivy, she was just fine! All the nurses and docs adored her chunkiness and all stopped by her ER room to say hello.

My aunt brought us to Children's National Medical Center where service was great, we had a private room and were able to be discharged early because after routine ivy and meds were given, she no longer spiked a fever. She is currently on amoxicillin as a preventive measure to help her fight infection, and although docs and her dad says give it, I have my hesistation as the mama of nature that I am. This med is my compromise for now.

This might be our normal. I have nothing else to compare it to with my daughter. I pray this is not her story though and from this she gains a testimony so great, to reach, teach and bless others!

No comments:

Post a Comment